Monday, December 7, 2009

The Joys of Being Bed Ridden

One of the main reasons I started this blog was to share my experience of being bed ridden for the last 3 months with at least another 2 months to go. I suffer from menorrhagia. What is menorrhagia? The correct medical definition of menorrhagia is the passage of more than 80ml of blood each period. It is seldom realistic or practical, however, to actually measure the blood loss and so doctors rely on the woman's description of her period.

Periods are considered heavy when:

* a woman bleeds for more than 8 to 10 days, especially if this is repeated month after month.
* a woman bleeds so much that it is difficult for her to attend her job. She may be forced to plan her holidays and leisure time according to the timings of her period.
* the bleeding is continuously so heavy that the woman becomes anaemic.
* the presence of other than small clots for more than one or two days suggests heavy periods.
* 'flooding' describes the sudden, unexpected onset of periods, like turning on a tap, and indicates heavy periods.

My periods last up to 3 weeks and are so heavy I cannot even move without having an accident. The cramps are very severe requiring pain medicine to provide me some relief. I had the Mirena IUD inserted back in April with hopes that it would help with the bleeding. Unfortunately there was no relief with the use of the Mirena. The next step is surgery. So I am now awaiting to get in for a surgery called Endometrial Ablation. With this procedure they will be burning off the lining of my uterus they will also be tying my tubes.

All of this has been pretty overwhelming for me, as I have been suffering for almost 2 years. I did have dreams of having another baby in the future, but this procedure will make it impossible for me to have anymore children. Ofcourse this fact is very saddening for me. Im grateful for the one child I do have and there is always adoption and surrogacy, but the dream of feeling a baby kicking inside of me is gone.

Due to all of this I thought I would start this blog to share my experience and hopefully find others who have gone through the same thing and are willing to share the experiences with me. I am hoping this blog will give support to both myself and anyone else who may require it.

If you know anyone or you yourself have gone through this I would love to hear from you. Share your experience.

Miss Candy

No comments:

Post a Comment