Thursday, April 7, 2011

When You Thought I Wasn't Looking

I came across this almost 10 years ago & it left a permanent mark on my heart & mind. Not only is this an important message for parents, it is relevant for everyone. I hope you enjoy it & cherish it as much as I do. Pass it on!

WHEN YOU THOUGHT I WASN'T LOOKING
(Written by a former child [aren't we all?])

A message every adult should read, because children are watching you and
doing as you do, not as you say.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you hang my first painting on the
refrigerator, and I immediately wanted to paint another one.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you feed a stray cat, and I learned
that it was good to be kind to animals.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make my favorite cake for me
and I learned that the little things can be the special things in life.

When you thought I wasn't looking I heard you say a prayer, and I knew there
is a God I could always talk to and I learned to trust in God.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make a meal and take it to a
friend who was sick, and I learned that we all have to help take care of
each other.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you give of your time and money to
help people who had nothing and I learned that those who have something
should give to those who don't.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you take care of our house and
everyone in it and I learned we have to take care of what we are given.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw how you handled your
responsibilities, even when you didn't feel good and I learned that I would
have to be responsible when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw tears come from your eyes and I
learned that sometimes things hurt, but it's all right to cry.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw that you cared and I wanted to be
everything that I could be.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I learned most of life's lessons that I
need to know to be a good and productive person when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I looked at you and wanted to say,
"Thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn't looking."


Each of us (parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, teacher or friend) influence
the life of a child. How will you touch the life of someone today?

9 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are all very welcome! Glad you loved it as much as me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that's so sweet! Thank you for sharing it with us! I'm following from the Boost my Blog hop. Come visit me back!

    Michelle @ Things Sent My Way

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that was very heartwarming. A nice way to start my day. Thanks for sharing that and for linking up at Swing By Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful poem! So much that it made me tear up! It made me think of not only how we can touch someone else's life, but also how we can actually take a few lessons (or reminders!) from our kids. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you have all been touched by this poem. It brought tears to my eyes the first time I read it too, had to share it will all my readers, was a must! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article.

    Thanks & Regards.
    James Thomas
    Personal Health care Products

    ReplyDelete